A nice little list of Summer Home “To-Do’s” -courtesy of Wayne at Pillar to Post Home Inspection:
- Inspect siding for cracks and make any needed repairs.
- If paint is peeling, cracking, or chipped, repair and repaint now to limit damage to the underlying materials.
- Repair any damaged caulking around windows and doors.
- Remove window screens and clean with a soft brush and soapy water. Repair any holes or tears before reinstalling.
- Have air conditioning units serviced to ensure good operation. Promote good air circulation around the unit by keeping shrubs and plants trimmed.
- Clear debris from gutters and eaves to allow rainwater to drain properly
- Seal cracks in the driveway and keep walkways clear of debris and overgrown plants
- Test irrigation/sprinkler systems and replace any broken sprinkler heads or emitters. Check for proper water coverage and adjust if necessary.
- Power wash decks and patios and seal surfaces as appropriate.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils to help maintain energy efficiency.
- Empty dehumidifier pans and clean hoses according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- If possible, take area rugs outside and hang them over a deck or porch rail to air out.
- Adjust ceiling fans for proper balance.
- Change filters in window-mounted air conditioning units.
- Switch heavy bedding out for lightweight summer fabrics. Have the winter bedding cleaned before storing.
- Close the chimney flue to prevent insects from entering and to help keep cool air in.
- Re-pot houseplants to give their roots a fresh start for the summer.
- Check door and cabinet hinges and lubricate any that stick or squeak.
- Open windows on cooler days to keep fresh air flowing throughout the home.